Basic Perioperative TEE
In this course you’ll learn about the cardiac causes of hemodynamic or ventilatory instability. This is useful in many clinical scenarios as a diagnostic and monitoring tool.
If you are a thorax anesthesiologist, thorax surgeon or cardiologist with little TEE experience, this Basic Perioperative TEE (transesophageal echocardiography) online course is for you. Likewise, other physicians and sonographers who deal with the hemodynamically unstable patient in the emergency room, OR, ICU or trauma room will benefit from the course.
You will learn to:
- Understand the basic principles of ultrasound
- Perform a rapid and efficient TEE examination
- Assess the anatomy of the entire heart
- Create basic evaluations and measurements of the function of both ventricles and the heart valves
- Identify obvious forms of pathology of the myocardium, the heart valves, the pericardium and of the thoracic aorta
- Make a fast and correct diagnosis the operating room, ICU and in the emergency room
TEE has become an indispensable tool in the diagnosis, hemodynamic assessment, monitoring and optimization of cardiovascular diseases.
A Basic TEE practitioner should always consult with an advanced TEE practitioner on issues outside the scope of the Basic Perioperative TEE.
The Basic TEE assessment cannot be used to influence the surgical plan. However, together with a second opinion from a more experienced colleague, you can help make a valuable decision.
This online course gives you the theoretical foundation in Basic Perioperative TEE. The text is illustrated by drawings, pictures and TEE-loops from the clinical practice. If you follow up with hands-on training where you become experienced in the use of the ultrasound machine, you are on your way to becoming a skilled TEE practitioner.
It takes 12-15 hours to complete the e-course.
Angela Mahdi, is a TEE-certified cardiothoracic anesthesiologist with many years of clinical experience in performing and reporting TEE.