Basic Cardiac Ultrasound (FATE)
FATE: Focus Assessed Transthoracic Echocardiography – the original focused cardiac ultrasound protocol practiced since 1989!
FATE is FICE approved by the British Intensive Care Society and the FATE e-course covers the entire FOCUS curriculum. The Basic Cardiac Ultrasound (FATE) e-course can be used as preparation for FICE, FOCUS and any other Point of Care cardiac ultrasound courses as it covers all learning objectives.
The objectives for the Basic Cardiac Ultrasound (FATE) course is to provide the attendees with basic echocardiographic skills for the non-cardiologist in order to perform cardiopulmonary evaluation and optimising.
After completing this e-learning programme:
- You have learned the normal sonographic features of the heart and pleura
- You have learned to obtain the 6 basic FATE views including inferior vena cava and pleura
- You have trained eye-balling of the right and left ventricular function
- You are now familiar with M-mode for assessment of cardiac dimensions and function
- You can recognize the most important pathology
- You know that FATE also provides a quick guidance to interpret the echocardiographic findings
- You know how to use the echocardiographic findings in the clinical context
The Basic FATE e-course is a prerequisite for attending a USabcd hands-on Basic FATE workshop.
The Basic FATE e-course is built on the foundation of this article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15595582