Advanced Focused Cardiothoracic is the next level after you have become familiar with the content of the basic workshop. It enables you to perform a comprehensive hemodynamic assessment of the patient e.g. assessment of the severity of an aortic stenosis or right side pressure increase. You will learn how to assess cardiac output and be introduced to diastolic function with Doppler echocardiography.
The workshop objective is to provide the attendees with advanced skills for the non-cardiologist in order to perform all extended cardiac views and the most clinically relevant Doppler ultrasound: pressure estimation, assessment of cardiac output and left ventricular diastolic function.
Pre-course learning material
All theory is provided according to the unique USABCD interactive e-learning concept including pre-test, learning modules and post-test.
The e-learning covers: introduction, equipment and skill, extended imaging views, basic Doppler, Doppler for the assessment of pressure, cardiac output and diastolic function.
All e-learning modules must be completed prior to the hands-on workshop.
The following topics will be covered in the workshop in groups of 4-5 participants
- Repetition of the content of the basic cardio thoracic US workshop
- Extended 2 dimensional imaging views (used in cardiology)
- Basic Doppler ultrasound principals
- Advanced Doppler ultrasound for pressure estimation, cardiac output estimation and assessment of diastolic function
- Advanced clinical scenario training
Completion of the USABCD Focused Cardiothoracic UltraSound workshop or similar (see description of Focused Cardiothoracic UltraSound workshop (basic level).
Who can attend?
Physicians from all specialities e.g. anaesthesiologists, intensivists, emergency physicians, internal medicine physicians, surgeons, general practitioners. In fact all healthcare workers dealing with hemodynamic problems in their daily clinic.
Typical hands-on workshop schedule:
- 10.00-10.15 Introduction, coffee
- 10.15-10.30 Highlights to HOT 1, coffee
- 10.30-11.45 HOT 1 (repetition of basic imaging views, extended views)
- 11.45-12.00 Highlights to HOT 2
- 12.00-13.00 HOT 2 (repetition of HOT 1, Doppler knobology)
- 13.00-13.30 Lunch (included)
- 13.30-13.45 Highlights to HOT 3
- 13.45-14.45 HOT 3 (repetition of HOT 2, pressure estimation, CO, diastology
- 14.45-15.00 Highlights to HOT 4
- 15.00-15.15 Break with coffee
- 15.15-17.00 HOT 4 (certification and scenario training, advanced cases)
HOT = Hands-on training
A certificate is issued after successful completion of the e-learning and the workshop.
Approvals - Endorsements
The course is accredited 8 CPD (Continuing Professional Development ) points by The Colleges of Medicine of South Africa and in the USA 9CME points.
For other approvals/endorsements see http://usabcd.org/node/188
Check our calendar to see when the next Advanced FATE courses are happening.