Basic FATE & Basic Lung US - UMass Memorial Medical Center (US), Nov. 11, 2017
Interprofessional Center for Experiential Learning and Simulation (iCELS)
Basic FATE covers everything within the curriculum of FICE & FoCUS
The objective is to provide the course participant with basic echocardiographic skills for physicians who are not specialists of cardiology in order to guide cardiac optimization. This includes the basic imaging views and M-mode for cardiac dimensions and ventricular function. Basic lung ultrasound is a simple and systematic sonographic examination of the lungs in trauma and emergency situations. It allows the clinician to perform point-of-care ultrasound in a wide range of patients with respiratory emergencies in order to diagnose and exclude pleural effusion, pulmonary edema and pneumothorax.
Pre-workshop learning material
Basic FATE and lung E- learning covers: Introduction, equipment and skills, basic imaging views including IVC, M-mode, right and left ventricle function and pathology, pleural scanning, diagnosis and exclusion of pneumothorax, pleural effusion, and pulmonary edema using lung ultrasound. Topics will be covered in small groups of 4-5 participants to ensure an optimal learning experience.
All theory is provided according to the unique USabcd interactive e-learning concept including pre-test, learning modules and post-test.
No prior experience is required.
Who can attend?
Physicians from all specialities e.g.: Anaesthesiologists, intensivists, emergency physicians, internal medicine physicians, surgeons, general practitioners. In fact all healthcare workers dealing with hemodynamic problems in their daily clinic.
A certificate is issued after completion of the e-learning and the workshop.
CME credits: 6
Read full CME statement from the UMass Memorial Medical Center here: http://usabcd.org/umass/cme2017
Hands-on workshop schedule:
- 07.30-07.55 Breakfast and Coffee
- 08.00-08.15 Opening remarks, Dr. J. Matthias Walz, Academic Vice Chair, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine.
- 08.15-08.30 Highlights to HOT 1, Dr Sloth
- 08.35-09.50 HOT 1 (knobology, FATE views, FATE card page 1 and IVC if time allows)
- 09.55-10.05 Highlights to HOT 2, Dr Sloth
- 10.10-11.10 HOT 2 (knobology, repetition of HOT 1, M-mode in pos 2, MAPSE/TAPSE)
- 11.15-11.30 Highlights to HOT 3, Dr Sloth
- 11.30-12.15 Lunch and Coffee (included)
- 12.15-13.15 HOT 3 (knobology, repet. HOT 1-2, M-mode in pos 3, PLAX view, extended views)
- 13.20-13.40 Highlights to HOT 4, Drs Sloth and Haskins
- 13.40-13.55 Break with coffee
- 14:00-15.30 HOT 4 (basic lung ultrasound and M-mode, review of lung pathology, scenario training, discussion, evaluation and certification)
HOT = Hands-on training
Download course leaflet from UMass with further details: NEW FATE 2017 Final.pdf