FATE is easily and quickly learned and can be applied in all clinical scenarios – perioperatively, pre- and inhospitally, in intensive care or emergency settings. The workshop is a simple and effective roadmap to learn how to perform and interpret echocardiographic findings and put them into the clinical context. The FATE workshops covers all content described in FoCUS, FICE, or similar concepts. The British Intensive Care Society has approved FATE for FICE accreditation.
The objective is to provide the course participant with basic echocardiographic skills for physicians who are not specialists of cardiology in order to guide cardiac optimisation. This includes the basic imaging views and M-mode for cardiac dimensions and right and left ventricular function.
Pre-workshop learning material
All theory is provided according to the unique USABCD interactive e-learning concept including pre-test, learning modules and post-test. The FoCUS, FICE and FATE e-course provided by USABCD are all qualifying for the workshop. Please note that the FATE e-course is the most comprehensive and that M-mode is not a part of FICE.
E-learning covers: introduction, equipment and skills, basic imaging views, M-mode (not FICE), cardiac function and pathology.
All e-learning modules from either FoCUS, FICE or FATE must be completed prior to the workshop.
The following topics will be covered or offered on the workshop in groups of 4-5 participants
- Basic cardiac views including IVC
- Right and left ventricle function
- Basic clinical scenario training
- Pleural scanning
No prior experience is required.
Who can attend?
Physicians from all specialities e.g.: Anaesthesiologists, intensivists, emergency physicians, internal medicine physicians, surgeons, general practitioners. In fact all healthcare workers dealing with hemodynamic problems in their daily clinic.
Typical hands-on workshop schedule:
- 10.00-10.15 Introduction, coffee
- 10.15-10.30 Highlights to HOT 1, coffee
- 10.30-11.45 HOT 1 (knobology, Basicimaging views on normal models)
- 11.45-12.00 Highlights to HOT 2
- 12.00-13.00 HOT 2 (knobology, repetition of basic imaging views, M-mode in pos 3, MAPSE/TAPSE)
- 13.00-13.30 Lunch (included)
- 13.30-13.45 Highlights to HOT 3
- 13.45-14.45 HOT 3 (knobology, repet. HOT 1-2, M-mode in pos 2, PLAX view, extended views)
- 14.45-15.00 Highlights to HOT 4
- 15.00-15.15 Break with coffee
- 15.15-17.00 HOT 4 (certification and scenario training, discussion, evaluation)
HOT = Hands-on training
A certificate is issued after completion of the e-learning and the workshop.
Check our calendar to see when the next Basic FATE courses are happening.
The FATE course has been taught successfully at Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, among many other places worldwide:
Approvals - Endorsements
The course is accredited 8 CPD (Continuing Professional Development ) points by The Colleges of Medicine of South Africa and in the USA 9CME points.
For other approvals/endorsements see http://usabcd.org/node/188